Museo arqueologico de Alicante (MARQ)
The Museo Arqueologico de Alicante (MARQ) consists of various parts at multiple locations. This is only about the "main museum" in the center of the city. Other components are the Lucentum, La Illeta dels Banyets and Torre de Almudaina. The Lucentum and La Illeta dels Banyets are close to Alicante, Torre de Almudaina is further away. Combined tickets for the parts in and near Alicante are available at lower prices.
The (main) museum in the center of Alicante was established in 1932 and in 2002 it was completely renovated and modernized. Since then, the museum makes frequent use of audiovisual means, making it look very modern and also appeals to the children better.
The museum is a journey through the Bronze Age, Iberian and Roman culture, the Middle Ages and the Modern Age. The museum also examines the archaeological techniques in more depth, specifically in 3 separate galleries, one specifically for field archeology, one for urban archeology and the last for underwater archeology.
Since the museum won the prize of the European Museum of the Year in 2004, it has been regarded as one of the must-do's of the city.
kind of trip :
entrance fee :
* standard ticket : 3 euro
* reduced price : 1,50 euro (students and 65+)
* combiticket MARQ + Lucentum + Illeta dels Banyets : 4 euro
* reduced combiticket : 2,20 euro
* all info about prices : www.marqalicante.com
opening hours :
* from 16 September to 15 June :
° Tuesday to Friday : 10 am to 7 pm
° Saturday : 10 am to 8.30 pm
° Sundays and public holidays : 10 am to 2 pm
* from 16 June to 15 September:
° Tuesday to Saturday: 10 am to 2 pm and 6 pm to 10 pm
° Sunday: 10 am to 2 pm
* closed on Mondays
* for detailed info see website: www.marqalicante.com
* Placa Dr Gomez Ulla, S/N, 03013 Alicante
* GPS : 38.353417,-0.476880
* Torrevieja : 54 km, 50 minutes
* Guardamar : 45 km, 45 minutes
* La Marina : 33 km, 35 minutes
most recent update : 20 March 2019