Les fonts de l'Algar
You are not a "fan" of the beach. You don't like sand between your toes. But you do enjoy a refreshing dip in the middle of a beautiful piece of nature. Then a trip to the nature reserve les Fonts de l’Algar or Fuentes d’Algar is worthwhile.
Les Fonts de l’Algar are commercially operated and are accessible to the public for a fee. The advantage of this is that different parking places are provided at the foot of the falls. Closer to the entrance there is also a cafeteria, souvenir shop and toilets. Once you have passed the entrance, you can walk from one waterfall to the other over a length of approximately 1.5 km via wooden stairs and a path. Here and there wooden handrails have been fitted that give you a firm hold. This is not a superfluous luxury since the paths can be quite slippery.
At les Fonts de l’Algar, the water is bubbling up from various sources of limestone. The crystal clear water forms a small mountain river that makes its way down via waterfalls and small lakes. Along the banks there are shady spots, nice spots for sunbathing and a wide variety of flowers and plants. No matter how hot it is, you will always find coolness here. The spring water has a temperature of 17 to 18 degrees throughout the year. Do you dare to dive into this cold and refreshing water? Walking shoes or even better water shoes are recommended. The substrate in and around the water consists of rocks and can be rough.
Les Fonts de l’Algar are not only popular with tourists. The Spaniards are also coming here to cool off. When you come to les Fonts de l’Algar to enjoy the oh so beautiful nature and the cooling water in a relaxed way in peace you should come in spring or fall. If you do not have the opportunity to visit the Fonts de l’Algar in spring or autumn, make sure you are present as early as possible. During the months of July and August this place is very busy. Tourists arrive in full buses.
kind of trip:
entrance fee :
* 15 June to 30 September :
* adult : 5 euro
* 65+ & students : 4 euro
* 1 October to 14 June :
* adult : 4 euro
* 65+ & students : 3 euro
* children 4 - 10 years : 2 euro (same price in winter and summer)
* children 0 - 3 years : free (winter and summer)
opening hours :
* open every day (except 1 & 6 January, 24 - 25 & 31 December)
* open from 9:00 am to at least 3:30 pm (July & August until 8:00 pm)
* complete calendar : www.lasfuentesdelalgar.com
* Partida Algar 140, 03510 Callosa d'en Sarria
* GPS : 38°39'33.7"N 0°05'45.6"W - decimal 38.659353, -0.095997
* Torrevieja : 122 km, 90 minutes
* Guardamar : 113 km, 85 minutes
* La Marina : 93 km, 80 minutes